View of St. Paul
The Lowertown neighborhood of St. Paul, pictured here in 1865, grew up around the Lower Landing of the Mississippi River. In 1850, William Taylor owned a barbershop on Third Street (now Kellogg), near Minnesota Street, and lived across the street with his wife, Adeline. His shop served as an information center, and his home as a station, on the Underground Railroad. Enslaved people would escape up the Mississippi River, and Taylor and his friends would try to help them escape to Canada.